Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Has anyone had success with planting potatoes in their gardens?

My dad randomly told me that his friend was thinking about it..... Honestly kinda intrigued me...

Update:

Thanks guys for all the answers! :)

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Fin
    Lv 4
    1 month ago
    Favourite answer

I've done them in the garden and in a bucket.  Growing them in a bucket is a much easier approach, in my opinion.  

You fill the bucket about a 3rd full of manure rich soil, as the leafy part grows you keep adding soil throughout the growing season, when the above ground plant wilts and dies at the end of the season, you upend the bucket, and harvest your potatoes.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I buried a couple bags.

What?

• 1 month ago

Several years, the problem is making sure the soil is not too rocky. They are a low maintenance crop as far as I am concerned. Plant them and forget them till harvest. If you don't get all of them, they come back next year. 

• ?
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Yes, let the potatoes get old and they grow sprouts, Quarter the sprouted potatoes and plant. The soil has to right and red dirt won't work. Red dirt means leached soil.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Ron
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

It is a lot of work but also kind of fun to know how to do it.

• 1 month ago

Haven't done it in a long time -- but it's not that hard, except for the preparation of the ground. 

Also have grown potatoes in a bag... easier and highly successful!

• ?
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

Yes.  My father did that every year.

• Joe
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

potatoes are easy to grow.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.