Has anyone had success with planting potatoes in their gardens?

My dad randomly told me that his friend was thinking about it..... Honestly kinda intrigued me...

Thanks guys for all the answers! :)

• Fin

I've done them in the garden and in a bucket.  Growing them in a bucket is a much easier approach, in my opinion.  

You fill the bucket about a 3rd full of manure rich soil, as the leafy part grows you keep adding soil throughout the growing season, when the above ground plant wilts and dies at the end of the season, you upend the bucket, and harvest your potatoes.

I buried a couple bags.

What?

Several years, the problem is making sure the soil is not too rocky. They are a low maintenance crop as far as I am concerned. Plant them and forget them till harvest. If you don't get all of them, they come back next year. 

• ?

Yes, let the potatoes get old and they grow sprouts, Quarter the sprouted potatoes and plant. The soil has to right and red dirt won't work. Red dirt means leached soil.

• Ron

It is a lot of work but also kind of fun to know how to do it.

Haven't done it in a long time -- but it's not that hard, except for the preparation of the ground. 

Also have grown potatoes in a bag... easier and highly successful!

• ?

Yes.  My father did that every year.

• Joe

potatoes are easy to grow.