Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenGarden & Landscape · 1 month ago

How did I get a milkweed in my garden?

I remember planting milkweed seeds 3 years ago saying here goes nothing because I thought they were hard to grow. I just noticed it in my garden and used a plant identification online and it is a milkweed. I just forgot about it and now here it is. Is this the same plant that grew from same seed I planted? 

Attachment image

5 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

Yes, it could very well bethe same seeds you planted!

Milkweed (butterfly weed) needs a cold period before it will germinate. that probably happened in your case.

• elhigh
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Milkweed is a pretty gregarious wanderer.  The seeds are very light and the silk in the seed pod, once it's dried out a bit, catches the wind and carries them hither and yon.  It may be a plant from what you sowed or it could just be a random blown in from elsewhere.

• 1 month ago

Milkweed is an annual plant, and it's very possible that your seeds just didn't spring up until now.

• John
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Milkweed is protected in Ohio. Monarch Butterflies only drink Milkweed sap. Monarch Caterpillars only eat Milkweed. The Medicine Plant is protected in Ohio, native Americans used it for medicine. The Buckeye Tree is protected in Ohio but that's the State Tree and the Buckeye is featured on the State Flag. However, the Buckeye is a worthless nut.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Believe it or not, one time many years ago, we bought some seeds of a rare Franklina tree.  We planted some seeds in some pots and the rest we scattered in a rose bush flower bed.  The seeds in the pots never sprouted.  The seeds we threw in the bed came up like crazy.  After they got a few inches tall, we translocated them to pots and from there we planted 2 in our yard and gave the others away.  Today they are large trees, rare, kind of like a magnolia growing in Houston, and no one knows what they are.  So, your milkweed did the same thing. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.